Saturday, April 30, 2011

30 Hour Famine!

Ugh. Brain is a little frazzled so hopefully my thoughts can stay clear.

So what is 30 hour famine? It's where people go hungry so others can eat. 30 Hour Famine is an event where hundreds of kids across the U.S. go without food for 30 hours in order to get a taste of what it's like to be hungry. We raise money which goes to stop hunger in other countries. The money we raise is to buy food for children world wide to eat. Sadly, nearly 8,000 kids die everyday because of hunger, every 10 seconds a kid dies because of hunger (two would have already died since the time you started reading this).

So those are the stats. Here are my thoughts:

Part of me wants to yell, the other part, cry. I mean daily we are hungry and daily we take our food for granted. I know at least for me I constantly think about what type of food I'm putting into my body and when really I should be happy I can shovel in REAL food. Of those thousands/millions of children in the world right now going to sleep they are almost positive that when they wake up tomorrow they won't have Cheerios in their cupboard. Heck, they don't even have a cupboard or sometimes a bowl even to put it in if they did. They don't know if they will have a meal to put into their inflated stomachs (a sign of extreme lack of protein) tomorrow or the day after. Their mothers tonight will give them mud cakes or mud pies so they can feel something, anything in them, just so they can sleep tonight.

And yet WE eat. We scarf down our food. I'm not going to lie, that's what I did after not eating for about 35 hours. Daily, we are able to eat. We pay for our food that is enough to feed a child for a week. The point I'm trying to get at is that God wants us to be stewards with the resources in which he has given us.

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." -Luke 12:48.

This doesn't mean you have give all your belongings up, God has blessed us with more that we even really ever think about, and so that is why we should use God's blessings to overflow though us and into other people. In this way we can show His love to others. When we serve others, it's a way of saying thanks to Jesus.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."-Matt. 25:31-36

Something I learned from the famine is that I need to be more wise in the way I spend my time and my resources. Not more for me but for others that truly need it. I've been granted a happy 16 years of my life. I wish I could say all kids could get what I have but that is for us to do. For us to step up and make a difference and let kids live past the age of 5 and 10. For these kids to grow up healthy and strong so they can go to school and then become doctors and teachers in their countries.

Really it's not that hard. Please go to this website to find out more facts and information on how you can help:

$1.00 is all it takes to make a kids day, so do it. What do you got to lose?

P.S. I apologize for the advertisement but I can't just tell you that there is a problem without telling you how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment