Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fair, farm, and family.

Day 6: What's happening to me! I'm listening to country music in the barns and am getting used to it, I showed a cow in the fair and know how to judge the difference in good dairy character, my fingers are getting calloused from hauling buckets but I'm fine with it. I even woke up this morning at 6 a.m. and was thinking, "I can get used to this", not, "here we go again". 
Although I love the country, I still don't know if I can fully switch over and leave the city. Luckily I don't have to choose between the two yet. Yesterday, I got a taste of city life by changing out of my chore clothes, putting on make-up and going  to Walmart with my aunt (sadly, there is a lack of Targets in Iowa. Someone should help these people out; they don't know what they are missing out on). Then afterwards, we got drinks from Caribou, mmm, the taste of home. 

So I apologize for not writing everyday. Working with animals gets a little hectic but the Farm is great. Scrubbing manure off walls, washing calves infected with ring worm, picking up sticks, and almost getting wisked away by a tornado are all memories that will stay with me (either as scars or lessons from the school of hard knocks). Then there are the lovely times spent with God eating my breakfast and praying while gazing out into a vivid, green open field and blue skys. Or good times spent with my Aunts celebrating birthdays or singing songs in the parlor while milking cows.
And the laughter shared in the Bolin household after a hard night of chores, eating ice cream and watching AFV, cheesy 60's movies, or home videos. All of which are memories that will last a lifetime and will never fade.   

1 comment:

  1. I wanna meet the cows! :) and your family, of course, haha

    ReplyDelete