Monday, September 23, 2013

Week 3 - Welcome to Adulthood

In the past 3 days I've been at a constant tipping point. Typically, it's at one of these points when I write because emotionally I've very expressive. What has happened lately is the realization of real life: Welcome to Adulthood Morgan is what has been the headline...or headache.

My bike got stolen along with my lock and helmet. I've been waiting to hear back with jobs. I have rent now, groceries now, and laundry. I have to buy new running shoes before I get injured. I buy my own contacts now but want to start only wearing glasses because they are so expensive! I still haven't registered for a race that I'm doing with people next month. I'm still adjusting to my position at my internship and my schedule has been so chalked full!

So if you have read my blog over the past couple years, you'll realize that reflecting is my way of moving on and sealing what I have learnedAdulthood has knocked me on my backside these first 3 weeks of my gap year. Fortunately, I'm really happy I'm learning these realities of life now and not when I'm out of college. So, here are some of my lessons from the school of Hard knocks:

1.) I will admit, I am an invert. An outgoing introvert that is. I love people. Love them. In fact I get lonely and even depressed not being around them enough but if I get too much of them all I want to do is crawl into a hole and be by myself for a while. Living in a house of 20-something people made me realize how important having time to myself to reflect, to be quiet, and be still is. My time with God is so important and when I don't get that I drain out and don't have anything to give...and I break down in tears.

2.) Communication can't be underestimated. Whether it's to a spouse, boyfriend, or roommates. Your day, week, or you yourself doesn't always have to be "good". Some days are just crappy. Communicating feelings of being overwhelmed is important to do. Watch your tone of voice, especially ladies because even if you mean no harm in what you say your tone can communicate otherwise. I've also learned that in finding space for yourself is important too. I can't say yes all the times but need to be honest with times, meeting, and availability. I'm still learning these things, so please give me grace. 

3.) There's a difference in living for each day v.s. being circumstantial. As a Christian and to other Christians reading this, we are called to be content in every situation (Philippians 4).Yep, life sucks sometimes but I will tell you how blessed and thankful I am to have known Christ at a young age. I am so thankful that whether in plenty or without anything- Christ is always with me. This world is depressing. People are constantly unsatisfied with coffee, traffic, busses, time, work, their bodies, situations, people, relationships, life stages ect. I do this too, we all have our struggles. 

In Ecclesiastes 12:1 it says to "Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near when you will say, 'I have no delight in them." In another translation it says not to let the excitement of your youth cause you forget your Creator. 

I have things good
. I say this not to be boastful but because in the midst of both hard situations and times of joy we are called to remember our Creator and all he has done for us. I have a great family to go home too, a wonderful endearing boyfriend, I have a job, a community that supports me, a room, food, blankets, a laptop, toothpaste, glasses, clothing, even an extra bike. I am truly blessed. 

So my encouragement to you today is to remember your Creator. He hasn't forgotten you and if you seek him you will find him if you seek him with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13).

"For this reason we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people."- 1 Timothy 4:10



No comments:

Post a Comment