Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Camp at Proem

I didn't grow up always going to camp. I went to Pine Haven from time to time and young life doesn't really fall under the definition of "camp". So from going from a semi experienced camper to being a counselor in the isolation cabin, surrounded by hundreds of polish speaking children, it's a pretty exciting inauguration to becoming the extreme camp counselor.

I've learned a lot in the first half week of being here. I've learned how to belay people rock climbing. I've learned how to dance the Berney. I've learned how to greet kids saying "Czec" or "dzien dobry" along with saying other Polish phrases or words.

The kids here are so fun and I enjoy spending time with them and getting to know them better and to spread God's love to them. Sadly, I'm not staying in any of the cabins with them because of the lack of room. So I'm moved to "the isolation cabin". I'm staying in there with one other girl called Sarah. The cabin is enough just for two people and is the general stereotype woods cabin, only smaller. And no running water. Or bathroom. There is a shower down the path ways but it's a little sketchy because of the fact that anyone could walk by and come in while your showering. It looks like if king David had a shower. And there are bathrooms a couple cabins down but you don't want to go there.

Last night I wanted to be brave and go to the bathroom out there so I brought some mosquitos wipes to wave around. I opened the door to the bathroom and as soon as a did a million mosquitos came buzzing out of the toilet. I waved my wipe in the air and I'm not sure where it came from but hit a bee that fluttering around with the mosquitos. Bad news. I close the door and go to the next stall. The other stall wasn't as bad but when I was done doing my business I look in the corner and there was a huge spider in the corner. I think I died a little last night.

The roofs of our houses is in the shape of a deep upside down V. Or I guess a carrot top like this: ^. So today I was walking around the cabin digging though my bag then all of a sudden, BAM! Right on top of my head. I fall to the ground. It hurt.

Last night, another exciting story happened. Sarah, my roommate, and I were sleeping in our beds when all of a sudden there was knocking at our door. It did not stop. So finally I got up and answered it. I open the door and some of the Polish counselor.

The beach here is a public one. It's also one where your bound to be thrown in if you go there. So today when we were there some men come, in short shorts and speedos. Creepy.

There are so many more stories. So you will just have to be patient and wait till I have the time to sit down and write more.

For the meantime, czec!

1 comment:

  1. lol at "i died a little"... thanks for the update Morgan! Glad to hear about your adventures! You're a brave girl. I hope Ellie is as brave as you are someday!

    ReplyDelete